Monday 13 September 2010

Cheap Shit


Is this 'Works' store really closing down? I don't know but I'm very sceptical considering Works shops seem to have a perpetual sale, close down temporally then reappear as variously similar apparitions. You would have thought we would have learnt our lesson by now, but we love cheap shit and the only thing better than cheap shit is cheap cheap shit (cheap shit that's in a sale)! I love it when such stores have these crazy sales and they suddenly take on the form of a private shop, blocking up the windows; so as to shield passers by of the lewd and criminally cheap acts that are taking place inside.



I can indeed make a mockery out of this now but there was a time when I was more effected by such high street tactics. The mid 90's fashion institution that was Eisenegger told hold of me with its seemingly Swiss, outdoor functionality available with a banging 70 % discount! One of my various purchases was a blue puffer jacket which I kidded myself was the genuine outdoor article with its evocations of Helvetica, Swiss army knife, European design, Ë - Ikea-esque accented outdoor utilitarianism braving the fierce Scando/European alpine winter sports wear - Volvo T5 cool.



However, we/I started to realise these garms were pretty shoddy and that Eiseneger wasn't a premium European fashion brand nor a sister brand of Ellese (can't remember if that was a common myth or just mine); we went quiet and our praise for these fashions disintegrated overnight just as quickly as the clothes did! I was left ashamed with a faded blue 'Michelin man' jacket with the stitching coming out exposing the synthetic cotton wool like inner.

No comments:

Post a Comment